Share this...
Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInPin on Pinterest

   History of Sealyham Mansion   

         Sealyham Mansion005 (Copy)

 

Sealyham Mansion, a Georgian Country House, the estate consists of 100 acres of seclued woodland and the river Anghof, a tributary of the Western Cleddau, runs though the grounds .

King Edward III granted some land at Sealyham, to Thomas Tucker in the fourteenth century. Tucker was a captain in the King’s army about 1356. From that time “The Tuckers of Sealyham” remained identified with the manor until 1777.Though Tucker signifies a fuller of cloth, there is a tradition that the first Tucker had accompanied William the Conqueror in 1066 to England.  Tucker married Ursula del Holme and they built a house at this Sealyham property, which is some 200 miles (320 km) southwest of Liverpool. The house was rebuilt in the mid-18th century.The local slate quarries were developed by the family, yet they struggled despite advisor’s having been brought in from North Wales to make improvements and eventually they were closed down.  In 1777 the heiress to the property, Mary Tucker, married John-Owen Edwardes. Their heir was William Edwardes (d. 1825), who was succeed by William Edwardes-Tucker. Captain John Edwardes was a descendant of this couple. In 1840, Tucker-Edwardes was married to Anna Jane Jones of Letterston (Wales) and their only son was John Tucker-Edwardes (1845) who married Hester Phillips. He died in 1891 (at 82 years of age) and his father also died in the same year. As they had no offspring Sealyham House became the property of John Owen’s brother, Owen, who also died two years later in 1893; his son Charles Gustaves Whittaker Edwardes who inherited the property died in 1902 without any children.

John Tucker Edwards John Tucker Edwards

 Known for the creation of the Sealyham Terrier there in the 1800s.  John Edwards bred the Sealyham Terrier rare Welsh breed dog. It turned out the last of the descendant family members to live at the Sealyham Mansion was Mrs Catherine Octavia Edwards. She married Victor James Higgon. In 1905, they moved to Treffgarne Hall. Around 1910, portions of the land were sold to the Pembrokeshire County Council.

Old Sealyha Mansion

In 1920, Sealyham Mansion and its immediate associated land were sold to the King Edward VII Welsh National Memorial Association. The estate was converted into a tuberculosis hosptal with 30 beds, from 1923 to 1954.  In 1955 it was converted for geriatric patients and but in 1964 it was permanently closed as a medical facility.  

During the war years Sealyhams woods played host to a special army sabotage unit nicknamed the “Sealyham Saboteurs”. The 6 man patrol was equipped with explosives and trained in sabotage techniques in case of invasion. The unit, lead by Captain Tommy George of the Harp Inn at Letterston regularly practised raids on local British and American bases and the airfield at Withybush

In 1970, the Sealyham Mansion was sold to Nancy Ellen Perkins. She converted it into an apartment building as rentals. In 1980, it was sold again to an investment firm that used it for an outdoor activities centre.  

On the 29th September 1986 Sam & Valerie Richards and John and Peggy Hone purchased Sealyham and the Woods and have been improving the house, grounds and activities ever since.

Click here to find out more about the Sealyham Terrier

Share this...
Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInPin on Pinterest